As the name implies, crowns are a sort of hat that go over the top of an existing tooth. They are single units used for one or two teeth in need of repair. Bridges are actually three or more crowns that are fused together to replace missing teeth.
There are many reasons why a crown is a good choice for restoring and maintaining your smile. The most common reasons for needing a crown include:
- Large amounts of tooth decay that are too big for a filling(s).
- To replace silver and composite fillings.
- To preserve a tooth that has been treated by a root canal.
- To repair stress fractures on and in teeth.
- To repair a broken and/or chipped tooth.